June 15, 2026: Chief Isadore Trail: Mayook Segment to Wardner

Audrey Stands next to a map of the Mayook segment 

Welcome Back for the 2026 entries of my journey on the TransCanada Trail  (TCT), my multi-year ride across the great nation of Canada!  My starting point this year, is the point I stopped last year, the Rampart rest area on Highway 3, between Cranbrook and Wardner, BC.  So to save time, I will always refer to the TransCanada Trail as the TCT.  Joining me this year is my sister Audrey; she will be driving my support vehicle.  Thank You Audrey!  

The area I am riding now, is geologically known as the Rocky Mountain Trench, a valley that extends almost a thousand miles, south to north across BC, along the western edge of the Rocky Mountains.  The Trench is the source location for all four of the major rivers in BC: The Fraser, Columbia,  Peace, and Liard.  The Kootenay River - the major river in this area, just west of the Rockies is considered as part of the Columbia River System.  Once I cross the Kootenay, the climbing will begin!

Traveling between Cranbrook and Wardner,  the Chief Isadore Trail predates the development of the TCT.  However, the Chief Isadore Trail encounters private property on its way to Wardner.  An interpretative sign detailed how the Mayook Trail segment was built to circumvent the private property.  Two local men were enthusiastic about building a new trail and started a process to raise funds for building the trail.  In order to get some federal funding for the new trail segment, they had to complete an application process, in which they had to demonstrate the significance of  a new trail in this region (it would connect two other existing trails), and that they had the wherewithal in addition to the federal funding to complete the new trail  project.  Their deadline was 2017, in time for Canada's 150th anniversary.  The ten mile trail was completed in timely fashion, and became officially part of the continuous TCT.  You can be assured TCT riders notice and appreciate the places where  the local effort goes above and beyond. I reflect on the massive enterprise of building and connecting 18,000 km of trails which connect all three oceans that border Canada. In a multitude of areas along the trail, local organizers had to raise funds, in order to build the links between existing trails.

The Mayook segment was a great start for my TCT journey this year.  I noticed that I was doing a lot of climbing during the first five miles of the trail, and had my GPS indicated that I had achieved 600 feet in elevation.  I expect to do a lot of climbing this year, as I have to get over the Great Divide.  So it seemed a good start on my first day.  That is until I found myself descending. Yes, descending down below the elevation at the start.   Two steps forward, three steps back.   

Along the Chief Mayook Segment 
We start the ride for 2026!

Distance:  21 miles.
Starting elevation:  2700 ft
Highest point:  3300 ft
Ending elevation: 2480 ft
End point:  Wardner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 16, 2026 - Lake Koocanusa: Cooperation! If we could only bring back the good old days

First Kilometers: Victoria to Esquimalt

June 20: Crowsnest Pass: Sparwood to Coleman